1. “Why do demons wish to excite in us gluttony, fornication, greed, anger, rancor and other passions? So that the mind, under their weight, should be unable to pray as it ought; for when the passions of our irrational part begin to act, they prevent the mind from acting rationally.”
2. Strive to render your mind deaf and dumb during prayer; then you will be able to pray as you ought.
3. Seek in prayer only righteousness and the kingdom, that is virtue and knowledge – and all the rest “shall be added unto you” (Matthew 6:33).
4. Never desire nor seek to see any face or image during prayer.
5. Blessed is the mind which, praying without distraction, acquires ever greater longing for God. — Blessed is the mind which, during prayer, is drawn neither to the material nor to possessions. — Blessed is the mind which, during prayer, is insensible to all things.
6. Know that you have sinned and you will atone for your sins